Where did you serve and what did you do?
USN, 1962-1982, Vietnam/USS Coral Sea-1965, and 1975, assisted with Vietnamese evacuation-USS Proteus, Guam refugee camp.
How are you #StillServing?
1) Starting in July 2017 and continuing today, I’m a volunteer worker at Florida State Parks (Milton, FL division).
2) I currently assist several local senior and/or disabled local residents with everyday needs such as home chores, driving to stores, businesses, gov’t facilities, health care issues, etc, taking them out for a meal, but probably most vital thing is providing companionship, a shoulder to lean on, and a person that is always only a phone call away when they need something.
3. VFW member since early 1980s, Post 5533 Adjutant/Quartermaster for several years in the mid-1980s, currently an active member in Post 4833.
Why do you do it?
1) I volunteer with the Florida State Park system in Milton because I love and care about my country and the local community, and believe it’s important that citizens help out.
2) I help local seniors because my parents taught me to respect others, especially the elderly, I enjoy their company, and I know they need and appreciate my help.
3) I believe that veterans need strong voices in DC and the best way to ensure that is to band together in organizations like the VFW and the AL. I also believe that the good that VFW Posts do for local communities and veterans is helpful and important.